Friday 19 August 2016

MOTHERS OF YOUNG CHILDREN………..LIVES OF QUIET DESPERATION…OR NOT?


A few years ago I boarded a cab with a woman carrying two young children. After settling down I pulled out my phone and soon got lost in the happenings around the world, that is, until I heard a knock and a scream. I looked up in surprise only to see the older child [not more than 5 years by the way], holding a part of his face and crying, with the woman screaming invectives at him. I remember thinking to myself: ‘This woman surely cannot be the boy’s mother. Probably she’s just his guardian or something. A real mother cannot hit a little child like this’

Fast-forward to the present, and I have had to rethink my thoughts. While I still cannot understand how a mother could hit her little child like that, I have come to the conclusion that many mothers of young children are living lives of quiet desperation and don’t know who to turn to, and unless you have actually been a parent or had cause to take care of little children even if for just a month, it’s difficult to understand the frustration that a mother of young children can feel. For the sake of those who may not have an idea; let me give you a hint of it.

Today, as soon as my feet hit the ground, I heard the words- ‘I am hungry’ coming from one of the children. I asked what they wanted to eat and received their orders. Made food and served it, and what did I hear-‘I don’t want to eat this food again. I want so-and-so instead.’ What! Someone might say: ‘You should have allowed them starve. When they are hungry they will eat’. I find that this advice works more with older children than those under age five. So after making breakfast number two, I set about bathing them one after the other. While bathing one child, the other methodically and systematically tore a paper into little bits and scattered them over the living room, so mommy had to sweep-again! Then lunch time. Then settling quarrels and threatening them with sleep if the noise level wasn’t reduced. Then more cries of ‘mommy I’m hungry’. Are you beginning to get the picture? Of course by afternoon mommy already feels stressed, tired, and a feeling of wanting to escape from it all [Thank God for writing therapy].

Things are not always this bad however. There are times when the chatter is delightful. And the smiles exquisite. And truth be told, I have been fortunate to have family members come in at various stages of my ‘mommy-hood’ thus making things a lot easier for me; but I know many women who do not have family members available to help them. And some who can afford nannies but who are wary of them because of the trauma they had previously experienced. And a woman whose husband told her point blank that he would not be held responsible for any sexual liaisons held with the nanny should she decide to bring one in.

I often remember a picture I saw in one of the Lagos State adverts for birth control, in which a woman is carrying a child, backing another one, and holding about two or three little ones. I previously associated the picture with poverty and felt that the advert was targeted more at low income earners, after all, I reasoned, higher income earners would probably have a big car to accommodate those children and transport them around, and no one would be the wiser. But after giving birth and relating with other mothers of young children, I have come to the conclusion that emotional health in addition to financial consideration should be considered when planning families. Especially considering the fact that people no longer live in extended families like before, when there was always an aunt or cousin to look after the children and give mommy some peace and quiet.

I distinctly remember one day when my son was still a baby, during a period when I had no one with me except hubby, [and hubby had gone to work that day]; how my son cried and cried and was inconsolable. And all of a sudden I felt so helpless and harried, I dropped everything and started weeping as well. I laugh at myself now when I remember the incident, but the crying was actually very therapeutic for me [and it turned out that he just wanted to sleep, but I didn’t know that then]. I often think of mothers with as many as four young children, especially those with children whose age difference is a year or less- how do they cope, especially if they have no helper? How many of them are silently crying out for help, but no one seems to hear? [Worse still, instead of being helped, some mothers find themselves being judged by others, especially those without the experience of taking care of little children, or those who had it easy all through].

Is there a way to help such mothers? I was surprised to find on the Internet that some organizations, especially religious establishments, do have outfits dedicated solely to helping young mothers. I find that admirable and commendable indeed. I, on my part, have decided to do what my own mom did when I was younger- and that is to periodically bring home a young child for a day or two, or even a weekend; not because I particularly love little children [Ok that was just a joke], but so as to give a young mother a little time to herself. Trust me, some mothers hardly have even an hour to themselves, not to talk of a day. And here’s a shout out to all who have ever helped a mother of young children-God bless you all. You have been of help in indescribable ways.

So, how about you? How do you plan to help a mom today?


No comments:

Post a Comment